Malate – Ermita District : Part 1

Before I begin this retreat to the past, I must first apologize for using the old street names. It’s what I remember and those memories die hard. I have tried to reference the “new” names in parenthesis but I may have missed one or two. Please forgive.
Living in Manila in the Fifties and early Sixties was an adventure as well as a treat for me. Manila was still rebuilding itself from the damages of war. I still can recall seeing sunken ships out on Manila Bay when they were slowly being removed or perhaps made part of the reclamation of more land around Dewey Boulevard (Roxas Blvd.) The wide boulevard was not choked with traffic as today nor decorated with garishly colored bright lights.
Dewey Boulevard in the Forties
Backlit by the fabulous Manila sunsets, food vendors would sell kropek, warm chestnuts, and grilled corn from their small kiosks, lit at night only by the warm glow of kerosene lanterns; 
the sorbetes or ice cream sellers would push their brightly colored carts that may have had little bells attached to the metal tops. Not to be confused with sorbets, this was referred to as “dirty ice cream” – I never wanted to find out why.



Dewey Boulevard in the late Fifties
My family and I lived in the Malate district on Remedios street just down from the Malate Church. Of course, as a kid I had no knowledge of how old that church was nor its infamous history during the Battle of Manila when the Catholic priests were murdered by the Japanese. All of that escaped me as I would take a jeepney that followed its route down the Dewey, past the American Embassy, the Bayview Hotel, the Elks Club and the Rizal monument towards downtown.
So, as I sit here in Seattle looking out my window on a grey, cloudy and a bit rainy day, I think back to my childhood when I would ride in a jeepney with the warm wind blowing through the open-aired cab, looking out over the bay perhaps going by the Manila Yacht Club and daydreaming of better things, I decided to make my neighborhood a part of this blog. I guess that’s what nostalgia’s all about.
_________________________________________________________ 

Dewey Boulevard was part of a comprehensive plan by the newly formed American occupational government to beautify Manila.
“The suburb was envisioned by Daniel Burnham in his vision for the design of Manila as an exclusive residential area.  Burnham was a leading exponent of the then trendy City Beautiful Movement which began in the U.S. They believed that civic loyalty would come through the power of beauty to shape human thought and behavior. Many prominent American and Spanish families resided in Malate, among them the commanders of the American Army, then called the Philippine Department, and the Zobel de Ayala family. ” (source: Larry Ng)
Ermita district – 1935 (click to enlarge)
In the Fifties, Dewey stretched from the Luneta and ended about where the Baclaran Church stands but a 1934 map of Manila shows that Dewey ended quite a bit shorter at Cortabitarte at that time. South of that were residential homes, Harrison Park, and the old Manila Polo Club that stood right at water’s edge.
The photo below shows my mom and her cousins and boyfriends having a swim on the beach probably around Parañaque right after war ended. You can see the Army trucks and jeeps in the background.
It was then a quaint and picturesque neighborhood. Before the war, there were large homes on estates that immediately faced Manila Bay.  Many prominent families turned to the Malate / Ermita district to build their homes, such as the Ynchausti residence on Calle Cortabitarte, the Zobel residence in the Spanish style detailed with bricks and white plaster located along Dewey Boulevard, and “El Nido”, the Perkins residence that won the 1925 Beautiful House contest, also on Dewey.
El Nido – the Perkins’ Moorish Castle
Forgive me if I digress, but I found this story of Perkins quite interesting and reminiscent of the Great Gatsby.
E.A. Perkins (right) checking a shipment of 5,400 ounces of Lepanto gold received from San Francisco (valued today at over $8M)
E.A. Perkins, was the first American representative at the court of the King of Siam and partner of the Manila law firm DeWitt, Perkins and Brady.
Perkins and his wife Idona had a huge scandal emanating from their divorce and subsequent legal struggles over jointly-held Benguet mining shares. Perkins was a quiet and unassuming gentleman while his wife “Polly” seemed to lavish her charms on other men. It was the talk of the elite social circles of Manila.
Unfortunately, their daughter, was made a pawn in this battle.  Dora was spirited, stylish and drove around town in a stream-lined black Packard coupe. She lived with her father in their Moorish castle El Nido, a highly visible landmark on Dewey Boulevard, where two turbaned Sikhs in full regalia stood sentry at its main gate. Dora Perkins, born in 1914, was herself a highly prized broadcaster over Manila’s Radio KZRH, introducing classical music in her exquisitely modulated voice.
Both E.A. and daughter, Dora were interned at Santo Tomas during the Japanese occupation. Dora was pictured in LIFE magazine with her child when they were liberated in 1945.
Dora Perkins and her daughter Sheila (left) and unidentified girl (right) taken after they were liberated from Santo Tomas.
I interviewed another internee, Jim Rockwell, a few years back about his internment experience. His dad, James Rockwell, Sr. was the first president of Meralco, retiring from that post in 1949. He was also an active member of the Rotary, Manila Golf, Manila Polo Club as well as Manila Yacht’s first commodore. Their family had a beautiful home on Dewey Boulevard and he sent me a picture of it. It was, of course, a lovely home but what was interesting was the bomb shelter they had built to protect them during the Japanese air raids of December 1941.
Jim Rockwell checking out the family air raid shelter.
Ermita and Malate were slower paced residential areas. There seemed to be more space between homes and apartment houses; more breathing room as compared to the teeming crowds and commercial shops found in the Binondo, Tondo and Santa Cruz districts.  The main streets ran north and south, Dewey Boulevard, Mabini, M.H. del Pilar and Taft Avenue. Shady trees lined streets such as on Padre Faura where the Ateneo campus and Manila’s Observatory were once located.
Ateneo campus on Padre Faura-1932
Around 1949, we lived in an apartment on the corner of Mabini and Tennessee (Gen. Malvar) streets. Mom would walk me to my kindergarten class at St. Paul’s College on Herran St. (Pedro Gil) where I’d have to face those very stern nuns with the heavily starched cornette (headpiece) every day and possibly risk a slap on the hand with a ruler as I was quite a headstrong young lad when I was 5.
St. Paul’s College
That’s me in the 3rd row, 3rd from left. (click to enlarge)
 I found the film below at the U.S. National Archives. It was taken early during the Japanese occupation, probably around 1942. As you will see, Manila still operated “business as usual” but things were to change drastically within the next year as basic staples such as food and gasoline were confiscated by the Japanese Army.
Ermita seemed to have a gentle, more people-friendly appeal. The ACME on Padre Faura was one of the first modern grocery stores I can remember, specializing in imported foodstuffs from America, Europe and Australia.
Acme Super Market-1953
Dress shop on Mabini (click to enlarge)
There were small, quaint dress and gift shops on M.H. del Pilar and Mabini streets. Women of that day like my mother, would prefer not to shop at the large department stores of the Escolta, rather they would cut out a picture of a dress style out of Life and Look magazine and bring it down to their local modista (dressmaker) to fashion out the garment, tailored to fit, within a few days.
There were also some pretty respectable restaurants such as New Europe, Swiss Inn and a lovely coffee and merienda shop called “Taza de Oro” owned by Mrs. Hazel Hedrick. Hazel came to Manila in 1936 enticed by an offer to manage the dining room at the Bay View Hotel. When war broke out, she was interned at Santo Tomas by the Japanese. After the internees were liberated in 1945, Hazel bought the Taza de Oro and operated it until she was 80. She sold the restaurant and moved to San Jose where she died in 1990 at age 97. 
Interior of the Swiss Inn (click to enlarge)
Swiss Inn – the best place for Wiener Schnitzel and Nina’s Papagayo which served a complete Mexican menu.
Nina’s Papagayo – Mexican Cuisine
Readers have also reminded me of the Country Bakeshop, Cucina Italiana, and not to forget the Dairy Queen on Taft Avenue that served the best soft ice cream chocolate sundaes with chopped nuts. 
Di’ Mark’s on Menlo Street
Di’Marks on Menlo Street a minute walk up from the American School where we would go for lunch and have those wonderful pizzas and San Miguels.
One of the fancier restaurants I remember going to was Guernica’s on Mabini founded by Jose Hormacchea, a retired pelotero, in 1955. They had a marvelous trio that sounded like Trio Los Panchos, excellent paella, and a huge selection of wine. Then La Cibeles on Mabini, the A&W drive-in on Isaac Peral, the Garden Terrace at the Bay View hotel, and the Aristocrat, one of the most popular spots on the boulevard which was billed as a “restaurant and soda fountain”. Doña Engracia “Aling Asiang” Cruz-Reyes, wife of Justice Alex A. Reyes, started it all as a mere snack mobile operation and has since grown to a food network with branches all over Metro Manila. This restaurant has the distinction of making what was then considered everyday fare so attractive that people would dress up and leave home for some home-style cooking.
The Aristocrat around 1960.
Walking along the seawall, one would see the double-decker Matorco buses, winding their way from the Luneta up to Parañaque, chocked with kids and families always vying for the top deck. Was it a more carefree time or perhaps it was just because I was a kid enjoying the simpler pleasures?
Matorco (click to enlarge)
I usually caught the latest movies at theaters down at the Escolta or on Rizal Avenue but you could also catch a second-run show, complete with newsreels and cartoons, at the Gaiety Theater, located on M.H. del Pilar. It was designed by Juan Nakpil in 1935, then owned by an American, H. Brown.
“The Gaiety movie theater’s main attraction had always been its ticket prices – much less expensive than the more modern, air-conditioned movie houses in downtown Manila. Karl Nathan, after many months, finally obtained permission from Japanese authorities to reopen the Gaiety, which at the time was owned by a prominent Filipino family with whom Nathan had struck an agreement, provided he could get the Japanese permit.
 The project equipment was, however, stored in Baguio. More negotiations with the Japanese official were necessary, but finally the movie projectors and films came together with the permits – and a lease agreement with the Filipino owners – and the Gaiety could open. People streamed in to sit on the woven-straw, lice-infested seats and watch American westerns. Each performance began with serials of Dick Tracy or Flash Gordon, to the delight of the younger viewers, who eagerly followed the adventures of these comic strip characters from week to week as the serials progressed. When the available inventory of westerns was exhausted, they were simply shown over again – and again.” Frank Ephraim, Escape to Manila: From Nazi Tyranny to Japanese Terror
“The Gaiety was our neighborhood cinema. Tickets for small people were only 15 centavos but as we grew older they increased to 25 centavos. Still, it was a bargain price to pay for second run movies, at least better than the enormous price of 40 centavos for the downtown air-conditioned theaters.” Source: Larry Ng
Gaiety Theater today
Gaiety Theater interior.
It was still operating when I was in Manila in the Sixties. I don’t remember when it shut down although it still stands today albeit in sad disrepair. 
This is the end of the first part of the Malate – Ermita post. Please look for Part II coming in the next few weeks.
If any of you would like to share your stories or photos of Manila, please write in the comments below or email me at:

I would love to hear from you !
Lou Gopal


This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

79 Responses to Malate – Ermita District : Part 1

  1. John Del Gallego says:
    Wonderful! I look forward to the next installment.
    Quite nostalgic.
  2. Wm Marvin Rose says:
    Splendid “Manila Nostalgia” video with musical theme “Long ago & Far Away” really set a warm tone while watching it….Well done, my friend…!!!
  3. Skip Haven says:
    What memories! I can pin point the exact location of my house at Padre Faura and Colorado Street. The Acme Market was within running distance nearly every day.
    • lougopal says:
      Glad you liked it, old buddy ! I can still see us going up to your old house in Paco and finding out it was gone then to my house in San Lorenzo and it was gone. Man, they should have had at least some bronze plaque to memorialize our abodes !
  4. Nena Blanco Suchy says:
    I was born in Manila, now I live in Canada.
    What great pictures and so many memories. I loved Aristocrat for Hal Halo, luneta for the view and all the great restaurants you mentioned, went to all. My favorito was Guernicas. Continue your great work, God bless you now and always.
    Salamat.
    nena
    • lougopal says:
      Thank you so much. When we went back to Manila recently I had the chance to introduce my wife to freshly made bibinka at the Aristocrat. She absolutely loved it !
  5. Connie says:
    Lou, what a wonderful article. It brings back so many Manila memories for me. One of the first restaurants my parents brought us to when we got to Manila in 1957 was the Taza de Oro. In high school in the late ’60s, Di Marks was a great pizza restaurant. Mom took me shopping with her on Mabini. We went to the Gaiety Theater too. In fact, just before she had my sister Mila in ’59, my little brother and I were with Mom at a movie downtown. The movie trip was cut short for a quick trip to the hospital.
  6. Noelle Ayres Banser says:
    Absolutely fabulous! That was the Dewey Boulevard that we all grew up with, and today you can’t even see Manila Bay from it! And all those wonderful restaurants that we all loved! You’ve brought back so many memories, all of them good! Weren’t we blessed to grow up in such a magnificent place! But the Gaiety of today is so sad…I wish someone would make it a movie theater again. Thanks Louie, for another job well done!
  7. Carol Lim says:
    A most wonderful and engaging photo and video essay! I was totally moved because it reminded me of Manila, my Manila of the past. If only people remember how beautiful she was! My mother grew up in Ermita on Sta. Monica street till she moved with my dad in New Manila, QC when they got married. We would visit our grandfather & grandmother in Ermita and our other aunts and uncles. Almost every morning in the late 50s and early 60s my dad will drive from New Manila to Dewey Blvd (and I dont recall any traffic then) so I can take in the fresh air from the Manila bay because I had such horrible asthma & was always stricken by bronchitis. Our family business was located in Rosario St in Binondo, then moved to Nueva st near Escolta. I remember eating at Savory chicken & Taza de Oro. My Lolo and I would walk down to the Chinese sari-sari store to buy American chocolates (Php 1 for 3 pieces!) The dollar and peso was P2:$1 then. He introduced me to his Chinese friends, Mr. Yuchengco, Mr. Henry Sy, Lims, Tans, Dybuncio, etc. They were all outside their stores too, chatting away with fellow store owners. How I long for the old Manila! I know our new mayor Erap and Carlos Celdran have great plans in reviving Manila. I fully support them. I urge all Filipinos to do their part in making Manila great again. Let’s keep it clean and safe, let’s support our local establishments, and please let us not destroy our old buildings…. but let’s rev it up!
    • lougopal says:
      Thanks Carol for sharing your wonderful memories. Your Lolo had some fine company. I do hope the blog stirs up some interest in getting our beautiful Manila back on track ! You know what I miss here in Seattle is the fine Chinese cuisine we would find at the Panciterias, then at the end of the meal you would get a hot towel to clean up. Ah…those were the days !
  8. Carol Lim says:
    I lived in the California for 25 years and now I’m back in the motherland…. because its really more fun here. I love Manila and went to school in UP Padre Faura so my old stomping ground is there: La Solidaridad bookstore, the beer places along Roxas, Aristocrat and those funky panciteria in Binondo. We are doing our share to revive Manila and my cultural adventure anthropologist daughter even opened up a new destination and boutique called Manila Collectible Co. It is an artisinal store which sells and supports the Philippine indigenous groups (its art, craft, food, etc) , pre-colonial Philippines and the local artists. I do hope the plans of our new Mayor Erap and Carlos Celdran plans to revive Manila is fully supported by not only Manilenos but all Filipinos! Mabuhay ang Maynila! I commend your fabulous work and Im looking forward to seeing more! I do hope you can dig up more vintage stuff from the National Archives….
  9. Baqbahj says:
    A wonderful commentary of a nostalgic past which I believe can still be recaptured if the new leadership exercises political will.
  10. Francis says:
    Thanks a million Lou for posting this, thank you for sharing the part of the past that now only exist in photos and in our memories, Our family lived in M.H. del pilar for years I was born in the late 60′s and I think the hospital is not existent anymore it was the Marian Hospital. I miss the old Manila clean and quiet we used to go to school in Malate and my sisters in St. Pauls College Manila. Ermita used to have lots of Churches around we used to go to Ateneo chapel in padre faura which is now where robinson’s manila is occupying. I could still remember the cool sea breeze coming through our window from dewey blvd. I am excited for more.
  11. Thelma DeVilla says:
    Thank you so much for this wonderful walk on memory lane. I was born and raise in Manila and I always long for the Manila I was used to. Our family lived in Sta. Cruz and we always eat out in Binondo. My father used to have a store along Teodora Alonzo and he has many Chinese friends. Every weekend we eat out and I remember then there was Wanam Panciteria and many others I just can’t recall the names . How we love the different meats on displayed in front of those panciterias like pork asado, isaw, etc. I remember the times we have to drive to Padre Faura and buy our groceries at Acme Supermarket. I used to worked at one of the government office on Padre Faura attending evening classes at the PWU was just a short walk while I enjoy the sight of the huge acacia trees lining Taft Avenue. Yes, I remember attending the noon mass at the Ateneo Chapel. There was Talk of the Town on Isaac Peral from the Manila Doctors Hospital. I also missed the old familiar Rizal Avenue, Carriedo were Lyric and Ideal Theater were we watched first run movies. There were fresh apples, oranges pears, grapes from stores just across these theaters. My mom’s favorite department store was Byrd’s and Botica Boie drugstore on Escolta. They’re all gone now. I really hope Mayor Erap will try to restore the glory of Manila as well as the Metropolitan Theater which is the only one remaining historical landmark. I will always go back to the city I know and I love inspite of having live in different places and countries. Yes, I am excited to get more of my Manila next time. You’ve done a great job!
  12. Manolo Abella says:
    You made my day! What a joy and thrill to see the old places again, liberated at least in my mind from the din and wreckage that Ermita and Malate look today. Rizal park at that time was not well kept nor well lit but seemed more natural or less artificial than what it is today. I was a young boy growing up in Isaac Peral and still remember the nice ironworks on the balconies of Luneta Hotel, marvelling at the modern Bayview Hotel and Melbourne Hotel lobbies and liking the feel and smell of air conditioning or staring at New Europe Restaurant one afternoon, imagining myself inside with a beautiful date sipping wine. Yes I remember the nice little park in front of Ermita Church, the tall leafy trees along residential neighbourhoods of Malate, shading gardened lawns where children played in their swings. All the acacia trees inside the Ateneo campus and Assumption College, now sadly gone to make room for shopping malls. There was the elegant Rosaria Apartments on Dakota St. which housed many expats and Manila old-timers. I remember the transvestites in Remedios Circle who used to taunt us when we were teenagers, the nights we loitered around Gaiety Cinema hoping to encounter and meet new girl friends, the trendy shops along Mabini where I remember seeing and being mesmerized by the beauty of Chona Recto coming out of beauty salon. I should stop and get back to work, but thanks a million for arousing these old memories. Manolo
  13. Dennis Sycip says:
    yes indeed Ermita was such a nice place !! I grew up in Oregon St. ( I think it’s G. Apacible now) and there used to be this one really unique restaurant on Padre Faura St. if i remember right it was called the Cuccina Italianna, as a kid the never ceased to amaze me it was like entering a Cave !! and the Scalloppini is still for me, the Best ever !!!
  14. TeemM. Cruz says:
    Thanks for this experience down memory lane….
    My father’s family house (built in 1950s) still stands somewhere
    in the Sta. Cruz area. When asked where in the Philippines
    I come from, my usual reply is “from the heart of Manila”!
    Migrants living elsewhere have proven right the sayings that
    “there is no place like home” and “home is where the heart is”.
    Not that old to remember most of those places but I vividly
    remember Taza de Oro at Dewey Blvd. Fondest memories include my
    paternal grandfather tagging me along to watch classical concerts,
    movies, opera shows and I also remember how I had always looked
    forward to Sunday’s hearty lunch treats, ordering its comida china
    for the day at Sun Wah (now Wah Sun) located at Florentino Torres
    in Sta. Cruz. Since I love to eat, I remember very well Aroma (sadly no
    longer around) infront of Sta. Cruz and the famous roast chicken
    of Ramon Lee and Savory Restaurants, the last 2 both still doing well
    in their old sites…

    Thanks again
  15. Anji Carmelo says:
    Great article. Made me homesick. Have been living in Spain since 1964 and go home often. I also loved all those restaurants. New Europe, Swiss Inn, Taza de Oro… Bibingka! Gaiety was my favorite until Rizal Theatre opened in the mid 50s. Banana Split at the Acme soda fountain. Those were definitely the good old days. Thanks o much and lookin forward to part II…
  16. Sally Ponce Tesoro says:
    We moved to Dakota (now M Adriatico) when I was so little. Went to school at St Paul’s. my brother Jacinto Ponce is in the same St Paul class picture (top row center he’s the one with long hair!)
    • lougopal says:
      What a small world. I don’t remember much of my kindergarten years except that we sang the national anthem every morning before class and I seemed to get into trouble with the Sisters quite a bit.
  17. Rose Marie Fructuoso says:
    Excellent! Brings back happy memories.
  18. Lito Ligon says:
    Thanks for quick trip down memory lane of old Malate! I grew up in that area during the 70′s and left in time just before it became honky tonk to transfer to what was then suburbia Pasig. My memories of old Roxas Blvd. was when my dad would jog and bring home fresh milk from the Old Selecta. Reclamation was only the CCP complex then. Of course there was Aristocrat for the bar-b-cue and halo-halo. We first stayed in a rented house in Carolina St. before transferring to my grandparents old home at the end of Dakota (M. Adriatico) nearer to Padre Faura. I also remember La Cibeles along Mabini for its pastries especially Lengua de Gato in tin cans. During that time, Taft Avenue still had a few rambling mansion left that were then slowly turned into offices. What was hard to believe was that I would walk from our house in Carolina to Nebraska street to study pre-school in an old house called Our lady of Remedies. My great grandparents home was across my pre-school in Nebraska (J. Bocobo) St. It was very safe back then. My sister, like my mom and aunts, studied in the Assumption Herran.
    Since today is a Sunday, I mentioned your article of Old Malate to my mom and aunts over lunch . They are more or less your age and grew up in area from right after the end of the war to the early 60′s before they transferred to suburbian Makati in the 60′s. An animated talk arose from it. There were twinkle in the eyes of my mom and aunts when I mentioned New Europe restaurant. They could still remember when they first got their chance to go there courtesy of my grandfather. The Bake alaska is still fresh in their mind like it was only yesterday. They told me that my grandfather was delighted to see the joy in their eyes when they got their chance to go with him. aAhhh…. Sweet memories of an innocent life. Its funny how we try to find ways to always move to forward yet we often yearn for memories of a beautiful past. Thanks again. Will be waiting for Part II.
    • lougopal says:
      Lito- I’m very pleased that you enjoyed the article and thank you for sharing your memories. I smiled when you described your mom and aunts recollection of the New Europe.
  19. Roland C Concepcion says:
    I enjoyed your article, hoping to receive the Part 2. I grew up almost at the corner of San Marcelino and
    Tennesee, old house still there, but front view have some changes. Hope to visit Phils Dec, 2013 (been a resident
    of Los Angeles, CA since 1982) and would like to view the things you have presented.
  20. john malkinson says:
    there’s an old saying: “nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.” I know these stories (and all the comments raising the fervor of the good old days even further) are one’s we all identify with whether it was in the 30′s to the 60′s. all is what we remember and little is left left of those memories. times and the people have moved on and changes do have to be made to accommodate the ever moving/needed improvements. but these photos and the comments and the remembrances of those chiming in are of such wishful and happier times we all enjoyed in the then manila. would that we could go back in time to these places and the memories that illicited such wonderful occasions in our then lives. we remember nothing but happy days and would that we were back in those days when all was fun in the sun. I went to ateneo from grades 2 to 6 up to 1954, I remember the acme where I would trudge over to buy bubble gum, and over to nina’s papagayo, a classmate’s mom owned it and to this day it I say it had the best tasting chili con carne I can remember. I have lived in Lynnwood, wa for 35 years now and last I went home was 1993. it was such an overwhelming change of times from what I remember, if I were to go home now, i’d probably get lost in the very neighborhood of where I grew up till 1963, san miguel. nothing stays the same, everything has to move forward with time and requirements of population and staying afloat, but it would be nice to see the second add-on sir, if this first one is any indication, the second should really be one to be anticipated. love your memory, it works better then mine and fills in the blanks and brings out those I do remember and this is what makes this so captivating a reading. drive on my friend, you are doing a great service to a lot of old folks and young folks. I know it takes a lot of time and effort to set this up, but you can see from the comments, you have made a wonderful impression on a lot of people, I think all are smiling. thank you. jcm
    • lougopal says:
      Thank you for your kind comments John. I assumed a nostalgia piece would appeal to folks my age that remembered these landmarks but I’ve also received comments from the younger generation lamenting the loss of “old Manila” however grateful that they have a chance to glimpse what it used to be. Maybe it’ll spark some movement to save what is left.
  21. Leoncio V. (Chito) Jaraiz says:
    Thank you for the trip down memory lane. I was born, grew up and still have the place I call home at the corner of then Colorado and Herran Sts. (now F. Agoncillo and P. Gil Sts). The origninal land titles to our properties in the area were dated 1904, when the American regime, reorganized the civil administration of the City of Manila. The lands, however had been in my mother’s family (de la Vega-Inclan) since the 1860′s. The house my parents build in 1936 was rebuilt in 1946 after being systematically destroyed by the retreating Japanese forces, is still there. The beautiful shade trees that ran along Colorado from what is now Quirino Ave. to Padre Faura are gone. The jeepneys have taken over the streets and made this lovely residential area their depot for the Makati-Paco route.
    As a child, because I was not very healthy, my mother would take me to swim at the beach beside the Manila Yacht Club in the mornings. If it was not a “beach day” then I would be bribed to go for a walk, by a can of Libby’s Spaghetti which I had to pick form the shelf at the Acme Supermarket. To get there we would walk from Herran, via Colorado to Padre Faura. I remember the buildings of the then Foreign Affairs Department on the corner of Taft Avenue and Padre Faura still being in ruins. The Cucina Italiana was on the corner of Florida St. and in the middle 50′s Casa Alba established itself closer to Isaac Peral (now U. N. Avenue). These were places for special treats on special birthdays, etc. On the northwest corner of Florida and Isaac Peral was the photo studio of Chat Peypoch, and as you approached San Luis St., the then Manila Hilton would rise to 20 stories and be the first high rise hotel in Manila. The apartments on San Luis St., were occupied by prominent businessmen and foreign executives and they were blessed by views of the Luneta and the beautiful government buildings around what is now called the Agrifina Circle. It was not uncommon for families of Spanish descent to ride jeepneys or buses and to this day I remember it was 10 minutes from Herran to our post office box in the Main Post Office building between Jones and Sta. Cruz (now MacArthur) bridges. My ride to De La Salle College on Taft Avenue and Vito Cruz took all of 7 minutes (5 minutes if you went by taxi–flag down 15 centavos and 5 centavo increments). On weekends there were the shows at the Gaiety (1 Peso in the early 60′s), the chicken sandwiches at Martin’s Bakery, across M. H. del Pilar St., from the theatre, and when the allowance allowed the P 1.30 hamburger special the the Taza de Oro on Isaac Peral. Sad to say, and I return to Manila regularly (having lived abroad since 1972) the ride to the Post Office, if taken before 8 AM might be 20 minutes; if taken afterwards up to an hour and a half. I once walked back and it took me all of 40 minutes, but there were sidewalks then and this was in the early 90′s. Sidewalks are a disappearing commodity in the Malate- Ermita area today. They have become diagonal parking lots, makeshift residences from the vendors, or simply piles of uncollected garbage. In the late 80′s there was a renaissance of the Malate area with many great restaurants opening on what was then Vermont, and Remedios Streets between Nebraska (Bocobo) , Dakota (M. Adriatico) and M. H. del Pilar Sts. Now there are evening beer halls that occupy half the paved area (on Remedios St. from Adriatico to Mabini) with the accompanying vendors selling barbecued morsels and fish balls to the drinkers and making road traffic crawl. Malate Church is being restored by the Columban fathers. The Aristocrat is still there but considered expensive by many. St. Paul’s is still on Herran St. but you would have to enter the inner courtyard to see the facade of the beautiful chapel where your class picture was taken. Most everyone prefers Makati, the Fort, or Taguig these days, but I am a resolute, die-hard, Malate person and it is still “my area” whenever I return to Manila. It would be my pleasure to collaborate with you on future recollections as I am still in touch with a lot of former and present Malate persons. Oops, I almost forgot the Assumption Convent, on the corner of Herran and Dakota Streets. This was the bastion of the many beautiful and accomplished young ladies (two of my aunts were nuns having been sent there from Europe, although they had been born in Manila) in the area. Now it is the Robinson’s complex of a mall and several condo buildings, and it also includes the former area of the campus of Ateneo de Padre Faura. Thanks for a wonderful trip down Memory Lane once again
    • lougopal says:
      Chito, what an amazing and detailed perspective you’ve given us of the old neighborhood. I left Manila in 1962 and on the two excursions back in 2005 and 2012, I didn’t have much time to spend in the Ermita/Malate area as we were too busy visiting relatives and friends. I welcome your input and, if you don’t mind I will incorporate it in future posts. Since you live there you would be more familiar with what has happened to some of these old landmarks. I welcome your collaboration, thank you !
  22. Toti Scarella says:
    Thanks for bringing back great memories of my childhood. It was so different then…life was quiet and simple. Do you remember the old Dairy Queen along Taft Avenue between Remedios and San Andres. The big acacia trees lined Taft avenue and they were so nice. We also looked forward to the Caltex Christmas display in Padre Faura. My parents grew up in Ermita and during the war they were living in Colorado, Herran and Vermont area. I was born after the war and grew up in Colorado. I remember walking leisurely to California Barbershop for my .75 cents haircut and went to church either in Ermita or Malate. They do not have those kropeck anymore in a nice wax paper…I love them especially the top part. I have not been to Dewey boulevard in a long time. I will share this article with my cousins who are now living in the US. I miss those days.
    • lougopal says:
      I do remember the Dairy Queen and used to treat myself with their chocolate sundaes with nuts on, yum ! How decadent.
    • Nicasio Garcia Jimenez, Jr. says:
      There is still that California Barber Shop today on J.L. Escoda St. (new name of California St.). I don’t know if it’s the original location or if is still operated by the original proprietors.
  23. Bing Conde says:
    Thank you old friend ! Wish I had your talent & patience in creating this page.
    Now I’m homesick ! Wish they can restore (at least) some of the locations you pictured above.
    Bing
  24. victor lopez says:
    that was me in the third row, fifth kid near you while we were both in St. Paul’s Kindergarten before we transferred to American School!
  25. Andre S. Kahn says:
    Thank you for the memories. I grew up in Nebraska street, walking to La Salle, via the San Andres Street, passing through the famous San Andres market. then right on Taft Avenue onward to La Salle. Your article brings back so many happy memories of a great era gone by. We moved to makati eighteen years later.
  26. I would frequent the Gaity theater specially on days we would skip school, and then walk to Milky Way for our favorite Buco Sherbet.
    Kindly include the notorious bars in front of Gaity Theater that would come alive at night, specially when a US Navy ship would be in town and the bars would all come alive. A drive down that street was always an eye full.
    • lougopal says:
      Ha,ha…I don’t know if bringing up the infamous bars would be considered “nostalgia”! However, I do know what you’re talking about.
      • bobby gochangco says:
        Guernica’s stood out in this area not only because of fine food and a lots of good singing/dancing ( yes, there was impromptu dancing), but also because it was the only “honorable” within distance. Many foreigners then looked to this area for all kinds of nocturnal fun. At that time, Ermita outdistanced Bangkok.
        Wasn’t there a nearby a beer parlor called Taboy’s Cinco Litros ?
  27. Panchito Puckett says:
    Love your old photos of old Manila. Lets hope they restore it back to what I remember it for. I was lucky to have been born after the war and experience the Old Manila and Philippines. I grew up in Fisher Avenue and Dewey Boulevard in Pasay City and I always went biking with my American School classmates without any problem. The Motorco was also my favorite mode of transport in Dewey Boulevard and those private gambling casinos and night clubs were really nice places to visit those days. I could go on and on writing but don’t want to bore you. Thanks again for bring back good memories!