Trump to call for increased pressure on North Korea’s weapons programme during Asia-Pacific tour | TODAYonline https://t.co/wdObMpUjiY
I quote from the article:
1. ASK ALLIES TO PRESSURE NORTH KOREA: "The United States will ask its allies to pressure North Korea on its weapons programme when President Donald Trump travels to the Asia-Pacific region next month.
2. VISIT JAPAN, SOUTH KOREA, CHINA, VIETNAM & PHILIPPINES: "The White House on Monday (Oct 16) said Mr Trump will visit Japan, South Korea, China, Vietnam and the Philippines from Nov 5 to Nov 14."
“The President’s travel will underscore his commitment to longstanding United States alliances and partnerships, and reaffirm United States leadership in promoting a free and open Indo-Pacific region,” the White House said in a statement.
3. JAPAN: "The international leg of his trip will commence with his arrival in Japan on Nov 5. While there, the president will have bilateral meetings with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and meet with families of “Japanese citizens abducted by the North Korean regime.”
4. SOUTH KOREA, CELEBRATE US-SOUTH KOREA ALLIANCE: "During his visit to South Korea, Mr Trump will meet with President Moon Jae-in. He will also speak at the National Assembly where he will “celebrate the enduring alliance and friendship between the United States and the Republic of Korea, and call on the international community to join together in maximising pressure on North Korea.”
5. CHINA FOR BILATERAL, COMMERCIAL & CULTURAL EVENTS: "After South Korea, Mr Trump will then travel to China and meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping on Nov 8 for a series of bilateral, commercial, and cultural events. The visit to China will reciprocate a trip to the US made by Mr Xi in April.
"Mr Trump has previously applied heavy pressure on China to rein in North Korea. While his efforts have had limited success thus far, he went out of his way to thank Mr Xi last month for his efforts.
"As North Korea accelerated its nuclear and missile programmes in recent months, Mr Trump has made comments that have stoked fears of a possible war on the Korean Peninsula.
"North Korea has also matched Mr Trump’s tough talk and threatened to launch missiles around Guam, a US territory in the Western Pacific, and shoot down long-range bombers taking off from the island for military exercises near Korea.
6. VIETNAM, APEC: "The US leader is also scheduled to attend two trade summits in Vietnam and the Philippines.
"Mr Trump will attend the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Economic Leaders’ Meeting and deliver a speech at the APEC CEO Summit in Danang, Vietnam on Nov 10,
“In the speech, the President will present the United States’ vision for a free and open Indo-Pacific region and underscore the important role the region plays in advancing America’s economic prosperity,” said the White House.
7. PHILIPPINES, ASEAN SUMMIT: "Mr Trump will wrap up his Asia-Pacific trip in Manila where he will attend a special gala celebration dinner on Nov 12 in conjunction with the 50th Anniversary of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean).
"Following which, the White House added, Mr Trump will celebrate the 40th anniversary of US-Asean relations at the US-Asean Summit and participate in bilateral meetings with President Rodrigo Duterte of the Philippines and other leaders."